Strategic use of technology gives venues a competitive edge in operations and with customers.
Operators are investing in tech and always need to adapt
With 78% of operators considering off-premises programs a strategic priority, brands are investing big in technology, but are struggling to keep up with changing consumer expectations.
- 74% of companies are investing in off-premises programs but none of the top 5 investments include customer-facing technology.
- 43% of delivery users place orders via apps while only 18% of operators offer mobile ordering via their own app.
- 66% of operators offer delivery through a third-party service and 55% offer delivery through internal staff.
Off-Premises orders now make up the majority of sales
Approximately 60% of occasions are now off-premises across all forms, including drive-thru, takeout, and delivery. Customers are most receptive to consumer-facing technologies such as drive-thru enhancements, order accuracy tracking, and frictionless mobile ordering.
- 92% of consumers use drive-thru at least once a month.
- 34% of consumers utilize delivery more often than a year ago.
- 79% of consumers use restaurant delivery (53% use third-party) at least once a month.
- 35% agree that it is easier to customize their order on a venue’s own site or app
- 35% say that ordering on a thirdparty site/app is faster than the alternatives
- 33% say that many of the restaurants they order from do not have their own ordering sites
New technology is critical to grow off-premises sales
Consumer receptiveness to enhanced technology extends both inside and outside the operation, and technology is becoming more commonplace.
- 22% of consumers used kiosk ordering last year and 11% used voice assistant ordering.
- If available, 69% of consumers would use vehicles with built-in heating trays to keep food warm and 41% would use autonomous delivery.
Percent of operators who offer the following technology say it has a large positive impact on their business
- 50% Location intelligence tech to target new customers based on their position
- 45% Geofencing tech to notify the venue when an app user is nearby or in a store to create a more seamless customer experience
- 44% Voice ordering through a virtual assistant
Source: National Restaurant Association, Technomic
TOP TRENDING INDUSTRY TOPICS
OPERATIONS – Decrease Costs
- Vendor & Inventory Management
- Human Resources
- Legal support
PEOPLE – Empower Workforce
- Health Checks
- Booking Management
- Staffing & Scheduling
GUESTS – Increase Engagement
- Guest Experience
- Customer Service
MARKETING – Increase Foot traffic
- Social Media
- Guest Apps
- Guestlist Management
- Reservations & Waitlist
- VIP Tables & Ticketing
FINANCE – Increase Purchases
- Digital Menu
- Delivery & Customer Pickup
- Mobile Ordering & payments
- Payment Processing
- POS Systems
- Signage, Digital Displays
TECHNOLOGY – Expand Efficiencies
- Service Automation
- AI conversations
- IoT Devices
FOOD & BEVERAGE – Expand Offerings
- Group Purchasing
- Supplier Directory
MUSIC – Create Environment
SECURITY – Safe & Secure
- Anti-Microbial UV Lights
- ID Scanners
- Metal Detectors
- Camera Systems